Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Therapeutic/Medical Animals

Something I have done a lot of research on is the possibility of a diabetic alert dog. Actually, it is possible to have a therapeutic/medical animal of pretty much any kind. I've learned several things about these animals, so I'd like to share what I've learned.


  1. Diabetic alert dogs do not necessarily need a certain kind of certification. If they are trained, then they are considered medical equipment. 
  2. Diabetic alert dogs are not required to wear any kind of specific vest, collar or anything distinguishing them as medical equipment. However, it is recommended that they wear a vest to store some kind of snack in (just in case). 
  3. If you have the dog with you, regardless of what kind of dog it is (i.e., pit bull or corgi), the only two questions that anyone can ask you about the animals is if it is a service animal and what kind of service the animal gives you. Other questions are prohibited by HIPPA, and your privacy is protected. 
  4. The only place that can "kick you out" because of your animal is a restaurant. The hair can be a violation of the health codes, so the animal may not be allowed inside (which is fine because most places have outdoor/patio seating). 
  5. The animal is NOT a family pet, and it should not be treated like one. While the dog may belong to a family and love everyone in the family, it has to be understood that the dog is working. It should be more concerned about its partner than about being "loved on" by its family. It will feel a mixture of loyalty if it is not trained to belong to its partner. 
  6. As I have mentioned above, the dog is working. That means that when the dog and its partner are out and about, it shouldn't necessarily be available to be pet by every passer by. This can distract the animal and its partner, so it makes it harder for the dog to do its job properly. The dog shouldn't be irritable with the community, but it shouldn't be used to the attention either. Try not to let the dog to be distracted. 
  7. These animals are very easy to train, but they must be trained with their partner. If the animal is not trained with their partner, then the animal may or may not "work" properly. 
  8. These dogs can be very expensive, but despite popular belief, a handler doesn't have to purchase his/her partner from a training company. The handler can train the dog themselves. I have trained two different animals (a pit bull and a cat) to be tuned into my diabetes. It isn't difficult if the dog is loyal and eager to please. Fun fact: cats are very easy to train! 
  9. As an extension of #8, therapeutic/medical animals do not have to be dogs. Dogs are more common, but it is possible to have a cat or even a rabbit as a medical animal. (Disclaimer: Probably. I've never experimented with training rabbits, but I have read that it is possible.)
  10. It is actually better to get and train an adult dog than it is to get and train a puppy. Puppies require a lot of work themselves, and they are still adored by everyone so they will be distracted. Also, dogs go through adolescence too. The puppy might turn into the teenage nightmare. It is better to get and train an adult dog/animal so that the dog understands its "job" and so that it will have already gone through adolescence. 
So, because of what I have learned from my research on the topic, I have made another goal for my life. Probably not to be accomplished this year, but eventually I would like to help people train their own therapeutic/medical animals. I know it can be expensive, so I want to help people out by offering a cheaper, more accessible service. Most people cannot afford a $29,000 dog which may or may not "work properly." I also want to get my own animal and train it, although convincing my parents may be harder than I want it to be. Mostly because of that whole "not a family pet" thing. But anyway, that is my goal! I want to help people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment