Saturday, December 5, 2015

A Conga-Line and The Slants: Yama-Con Day 2!

So. A few quick things. First (briefly), I got to participate in a Conga-line with Deadpools today! Second, I want to discuss the event that made my entire Yama-Con!

Earlier in the day a group of Dead-Pools approached me and Autumn and asked us to join their conga-line in the dealer's room. We agreed, and about half an hour later we were dancing through the entire convention center as the awesomest group of geeks at the convention! We had a long line by the end of our dance and we all ended up singing Journey and Mulan (the group in the back lead the songs). Side note: I did a conga-line through walmart for a sociology project one time, but I would like to say this was by far MUCH more fun!!!!!!

I've included pictures, but you can't see me in either. (Part of the reason they are included!)



Additionally, one of the things that Yama-Con does is concerts. I got to go to two of those this evening!

Johnny Yong Bosh and his band (Eyeshine) played their annual Yama-Concert, and Autumn and I got to listen to them play for a little while. He is always very good--apparently. I like his music and Autumn listened to a lot of it before Yama-Con this year. She wanted to be able to sing along I guess. She had a bit of a panic attack so we had to leave the Main Event room and walk around the convention center shortly after his concert started.

The Slants were absolutely amazing! Those guys were a lot of fun on stage, and they made my entire Yama-con experience! If not so much for my own, definitely for Autumn's sake. The Slants were hanging out in the dealer's room earlier in the day, so we stopped by to take a few pictures and had a small conversation with them. They invited us to their concert but Autumn told them she wasn't usually comfortable with large crowds or loud noises, so they talked to her for a while and told her she could come on stage with them where there was no crowd. We were very impressed by how "human" they were, so she agreed to go the concert. It was her first concert and she even went right up to the stage! Loud noises, large-ish crowd and all! I was so proud of her!!! She said she went to support the band because of how human they had been earlier. I agreed with that. We enjoyed their music and we bought a CD and a t-shirt (both of which are now signed by The Slants).

I'm thankful for Yama-Con's small-town feel and for the genuine staff, bands, panels, attendees and everyone else. It makes it easier to be there. A year ago, I would never have agreed to go. Actually I wouldn't have thought that Autumn would agree to go six months ago. She doesn't like lots of people, but we're comfortable together. This year we have been very comfortable at Yama-Con and we're looking forward to hopefully attending next year! And this is going to sound silly, but I'm thankful for The Slants because they made her feel comfortable before we ever even got to the concert. Without the short conversation we'd had with them earlier, Autumn never would have agreed to go and she most definitely wouldn't have agreed to go up to the stage! Those guys have no idea what they did for my little sister, but I'm so grateful for them!!

Once again, no camera cord. The pictures above came from one of the other people at the con (they gave me permission to use the pictures. Thanks buddy!). I'll post pictures tomorrow night or Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment