Thursday, November 12, 2015

Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)

I can kind of change personalities depending on my blood sugar. Hypoglycemia--or low blood sugar--makes me act differently than either high or normal blood sugars. Low blood sugars make me dizzy, weak, tired, irritable and an overabundance of other things. Most recently, I have developed a side effect of depression with consistent low blood sugars.

I used to know when I was dropping. It felt like I was on a boat (and didn't have my sea legs). I would be really clumsy, dizzy and I felt like I was unstable or physically falling. Now I can't really feel my lows, especially if I have had many of them within a short period of time. Instead of feeling seasick, I feel depressed and I end up just laying in the floor. Melancholy and lethargic. I also get very short-tempered and I am mean with my words. I don't usually mean what I say, but I'm not very nice anyway.

I had to start realizing that when I act different it means that something is off (and my Tay-Dar was great for that!). Since I stopped being able to tell completely when I was low I had to come up with a different way to figure it out. This is the best I could do, but it has worked pretty well.

Lows can be hard to treat, depending on the reason. If it is an emotional reason I could eat all day long and it wouldn't solve a thing. If it's just because I over corrected for a meal, that can be relatively simple.

Lows are dangerous, especially in sleep, because going too low could kill me. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment