Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Don't Sell Out

Last time I posted, I discussed the importance of embracing your weirdom. Today, I want to talk about one of the biggest things that makes me stand out. My faith.

I haven't always fit in very well because I refuse to sell out. I knew that in order to be popular I would have to go with the flow, but I wanted to make a difference. It is impossible to make a difference if you are afraid to stand out.

I'm having a problem with that lately in my college environment, because they want to force me to think a certain way. Most of the classes I am taking this semester have topics that force me to think in a worldly way. In fact, they will fail me for thinking any other way. As an example, I might be forced to accept and support trans-gender or homosexual people. That is against my faith, so I will take the penalty for disagreeing with them.

It isn't necessarily fair, but I've learned that you have to stand up for what you believe in. It might feel a little funny and it will definitely feel lonely, but we are not put on this Earth to "fit in." We are here to be Jesus with skin. If we give our life to Christ, then He will lead us to be in those kinds of situations so that we can make a difference. That's His design. So don't be afraid to have an opinion and never be afraid to defend it! I found a quote on pinterest that sums it up pretty well.

Seriously. Give me one good reason. Because if you have one, I want to hear it!

If my reason for living is to make a difference, I will never be able to do that by being "like them." That is impossible.

Same goes for you. Why on Earth should you give up on what you love because you are being told to think a certain way?

Specifically for that purpose, I encourage you to consider Joshua 1:9. "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." This is a reminder that God is with you always, no matter the situation. When people are trying to force you to think a certain way (i.e., you must accept and support these certain kinds of sins in order to get good grades, be popular, etc.) God is there too. And He wants you to stand up for Him. He put you there for that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment