Friday, May 13, 2016

Shout Out to the People Who Love Me

Sometimes, I can tell who really loves me. I mean, I know that my family loves me unconditionally. But sometimes my friends do things that I find completely mind blowing. That happened not too long ago.

One of my best friends sent me a message on facebook a few months ago and told me something very surprising. She had bought a test kit (meter, lancet, strips and all) and check her and her fiance's blood sugars with it. She did it to show support for me--and probably to see what it felt like. It was painful, because she had the lancing device on the highest setting (not that she knew that).

This was a really big deal for me, because I hadn't asked her to do that. I had wanted to start a "Finger Stick Challenge" like the Ice Bucket Challenge, but I didn't figure people would actually purposely stab themselves. I didn't know anything about what my friend was doing until after she did it and sent me the message. But do you know how that made me feel?

Not alone.

It made me feel more supported than almost anything else should could have done. Do you know why? November 14th is International Type 1 Diabetes Awareness day, and I always ask all of my friends and family to wear blue to raise awareness. The majority of them do not even do something as simple as wearing blue on that very important day. Because of that, it brought tears to my eyes to see how loved I am. It makes me feel like she's helping me fight this disease.

Yeah, I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But a little bit of encouragement can go a long way and that was very encouraging for me.

I'm not going to ask anyone to stab themselves to show support for all of us Type 1 Diabetics out there. I just wanted to share how awesome some people are, and how loved I feel because they aren't afraid to support for me.

Shout out to Alexis Randall and Michael Johnson. You two are amazing and I love you both! Thanks for the encouragement!



No comments:

Post a Comment