Monday, December 22, 2014

A Meaningful You

I wish when people said stuff, they meant it.

That statement is very plain to have so much meaning. Perhaps I should explain what I mean a little more thoroughly.

I don't exactly mean that people shouldn't lie. People lie all the time. Maybe not even on purpose, but it happens nonetheless. With specific regards to lying and my statement, I wish that people didn't tell hurtful lies. Things like "I love you," "I'll never give up on you," "You're worthless," etcetera. Those lies can drastically change lives. They either falsely build someone up, or tragically tear someone down. As far as the first two go, they aren't always lies. But if you don't really mean it, then you shouldn't ever say it. Actually, it is even possible to tell a hurtful truth nicely. My mother is incredibly gifted at that. Instead of saying something like "That dress makes you look like a beached whale." She will come up with something like "Try this! It is much more flattering." She is consistently proving to me that it is possible to say anything nicely.

Part of what I mean when I make this statement is what people do. Actions speak louder than words. For example, a father who tells his son not to drink alcohol, but is an alcoholic himself. No one respects a hypocrite, so why would anyone want to be one? Yet, there are far too many hypocrites in this world. People are consistently inconsistent with their actions. Multiple people in my life have said meaningful words and followed them with meaningless actions. I try never to follow their example. I try to never make promises I can't keep, and I encourage my readers to do the same.

I also mean that people should be the same in any and all circumstances. Personality shouldn't change when the group changes. One should always act the same. At work, at church, at home, at school. Everywhere people go, they should retain their perspective personality. If a person is not the same at school as they are at church, then they are "saying" something they don't mean. They are presenting a person at one or both of those places that doesn't exist. My advice? God created you for a purpose. If you change  who you are depending on your company, then you are not fulfilling His purpose for you. He only needs one of you, so that makes you pretty special. Troubles and all.

The norm these days is to be inconsistent. People almost demand that you change your ways to "fit in" with your crowd. Society has set the example of fluctuating personalities, depending on your circumstances or situation. Like puppets, people follow these rules and norms. In the end, they become a mixture of people that don't really exist. It must be hard to keep up with all of those people! My question for you is simple. Why would you want to be this way?  Why would you desire a life filled with things you don't mean and people that don't really exist? It will destroy you and God's purpose for your life.

If people would only say what they mean, both by words and by actions, this world would be much less confusing. I encourage all of you to be who you are, no matter who appreciates it. I want you all to stand for something so that you don't fall for everything. Don't let the world be the puppet-master of your life. Take what control you have, and be what you mean to be. Find you, and be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment