Tuesday, March 1, 2016

"Bouncing" Makes for a Long Night

My sugar bounced after work last night. So, thanks to Dexcom I slept in 45 minute intervals (it kept alerting me that my sugar was above 180).

For those of you who don't know what bouncing is, it is when your blood sugar drops so low that the liver spits out sugar to keep you alive.

It is infinitely hard to come back down after a bounce. 

I got insulin about every two hours to make it come down, but it was a very, VERY slow decent. It still never went below 180, but I did come down from almost 300.

Finally, at about 6:30 AM I decided I'd had enough of the highness. So I got out of bed and did the only other thing I know to do to get my sugar to come down.

What do you do when your blood sugar is high for an excessive amount of time? Beach body!

When I got out of bed I (very quietly, so not to disturb my sleeping family) did what I could remember of Autumn Calabrese's "Dirty 30" workout program. Then I went for about a mile-long walk. It's only 9am, and I feel accomplished. My sugar is finally 113 and I think I could probably pass out and sleep now. The only problem with that is now I feel energized.

Momma always said "Diabetes first." I know she's right. Even when I'm exhausted and all I want to do is complain or sleep, I have to take care of diabetes first. I can complain and sleep later. My priority has to be my health. So, even when I haven't slept all night, and I am ready to throw my Dexcom across the bedroom, and I am not in the mood for anything really, I know I have to take care of myself. That includes getting out of bed to do a workout after a long night of no sleep. Thanks for the lesson, Mom!


**Side Note**
I am also thankful for Autumn--my sister Autumn--because she introduced us to the workout stuff I did this morning. She's been my "personal trainer" since like November. And because of her making me take care of myself in that way, I've lost like 15 pounds and I am a lot stronger now than I used to be. She's meaner than Jillian when she wants to be... But I love her and am thankful for her always!

No comments:

Post a Comment